Wednesday, November 17, 2010

An Analog Hero in a Digital Age

I'm a bit torn when it comes to the mini-games on No More Heroes 2 where you have work the odd side-jobs to earn income as entry fee to the assassin federation. While I love the "bite-size" nature of what these mini-games can offer, I have yet to fully master the controls of a 8-bit Travis touchdown with the analog stick. The game offers classic controller support as suggested in the opening moments of the game but I have yet to break out that controller in frustration. The D-pad on the Wii-mote is also perfectly function-able in these mini-games but its positioning makes it difficult for me to fully wrap myself between firing the A&B buttons and moving Travis with the D-pad.

Guess it just goes to show that some things never go out of style so long as these 8-bit 2D games are still around, there will always be a use for the D-pad to go along with it as the analog stick simply doesn't capture the simplicity of the controls. I'm not sure how many more times I can endure another failure because I couldn't push the analog stick to the right angle at a crucial moment.

No comments: