Saturday, April 23, 2016

Walking Tall Among Giants



A while back I talked about how I never really played much RPG up until the last generation or so. Even then I tend to stick mostly to tactical SRPG as it suits my style of play.

Xenoblade is one of the few RPG I'm currently playing that isn't a SRPG. I also played a good ten hours of The Last Story but ultimately decided to focus on Xenoblade first. This game shows me what I'm missing from the RPG genre that I simply don't get on SRPG games : the sense of adventure.

SPRG gameplay and map are always plotted out on a grid. In a way, it makes things easier to learn for a novice of the genre like me. At the same time, it's also restrictive because you can never wander off the grid.

Xenoblade gives you the freedom to explore the world like a good RPG should. The sense of adventure in this game is truly epic to the point I cannot fathom how it plays on the N3DS port. The N3DS port will definitlely lose some of its epicness feel no matter how close it matches the Wii game's visual.

The world of Xenoblade is truly beautiful with real-time weather and daylight change. It's inhabited by a complete ecosystem that Monolith designed for this world. Playing on the TV screen gives you a nice vibe of adventure a bit like Red Dead Redemption except this isn't a barren wastelands. It's a beautiful world that will sometimes make you stop and appreciate the landscape. You can travel to anywhere you see in a distance and all that walking always feels rewarding rather than tedious.

Monster Hunter Tri is a good example of how good this game looks on the Wii but without the annoying loading screen thaat plagues each MH game. You can say I'm biased against handheld system but Nintendo should have remaster Xenoblade for a home console instead of the 3DS system. This game definitely deserves to be played on a big TV screen.

No comments: