Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Long Story Short

Here's an unusual gaming quirk of mine which is should to puzzle a few; i have a tendency to finish a long game really quick but tend to prolong short games a little bit longer. No other games demonstrate this better then these two which i happened to be playing recently, Product Number 03 and Final Fantasy VII. I took about forty plus hours to reach the end of Final Fantasy VII and despite all that, there were still so many side missions and summons which i failed to gather. I could have spent a bit more time finishing these side missions and leveling up my characters further but i felt forty hours was enough for me.

PN03 on the other hand is reportedly only a five hour game and sure enough i did finish it under six hours on my first try. However i immediately went back to playing it soon after that, this time trying to clear all the side missions as well as the main story mode. I'm only about two-thirds into finishing the game and if factor in the earlier five plus hours i spent on my first run, i would have spent about 20 plus hours on PN03 already. There is barely any story or cutscene in PN03 but yet the burning desire to master Vanessa moves and score professional rank on every mission have me obsessively playing the game non-stop for the past week. Perhaps it's the difference in genre that led to such different playing styles, now i'm starting to wonder should i even bother with Final Fantasy XIII when it ships.

No comments: