Saturday, January 15, 2011

Is Losing Any Different?

Is there any difference in losing by a big margin and narrowly losing? Some people tend not to think so but just ask the Cleveland Cavaliers who made NBA history by losing to the Los Angeles Lakers by 55 points. There's no doubt of the emotional damage inflicted by this recent loss as the Cavaliers were already left in shambles after last summer's Decision by The Chosen One.

Whenever I don't make it to first position in the Terror Is Reality gameshow, I find the loss more difficult to accept when the victor has a wide margin of victory over me. Coming in second is hardly a consolation when there is such a disparity in points and possibly skill though I'm not sure how the other two contestants feel. I can tolerate losing by a few points or at the last minute rather than the game being decided already minutes before it's even over.

I felt a great relief when I achieved the TK's favourite trophy for winning all 9 types of matches as I read too much into other players' frustration at earning that trophy. That affected me negatively as I began to anticipate similar frustration before it even happened but thankfully it didn't. I did win a few games at the last second or by a narrow margin but there was more to do with a lack of familiarity with the match. Once the burden of the trophy is gone, I definitely enjoyed the game a lot more and in the process, won some of these matches by a wide margin too. The only question remains is whether I should continue to play these TIR matches having achieved all the TIR trophies.


No comments: