Tuesday, December 22, 2015

2015 Recap: Don't Look Back in Anger

As 2015 is drawing to an end, I'm going to start recounting the games I finished on each systems. It's safe to say that my two most played systems remains the PS3 and 3DS, which is probably the same as last year's. If this generation were to end today I still think the Nintendo 3DS is the best system of this generation. While it's not really fair to pit a portable handheld against home consoles, the current gen systems are still in a pretty sorry state of affairs.

I remained baffled as to why so many people are buying a PS4 right now. To play what? If this was the PS2 era, exclusive games like Bloodborne and Until Dawn are nothing but B-level games. Instead, they received an enormous amount of attention and hype by simply being exclusive on the best-selling console of this generation.

Looking back, getting a Nintendo Wii U instead of PS4 was a pretty sound decision. Nintendo is doing as much as they can to support the system but still there is only so much you can handle as both the publisher/developer. Of course I might have made a completely different decision if my first PS3 didn't YLOD in the first place. I won't have lose faith in the durability of Sony systems and I probably won't feel burnt to get another Sony machine as I do right now.

Playing the Wii U is a complete different cycle with what I went through on the Wii. I didn't really play any first-party Nintendo games until late in the Wii era. This time on the Wii U, I have playing mostly first-party games with the exception of Bayonetta 2. Nintendo does a great job of rewarding customers on the Club Nintendo program. I got a number of these games free through Club Nintendo and they are full-priced games unlike the crap PSN Plus throws out.

OK, that's enough hating for now.

No comments: