Monday, January 12, 2009

When Leon Met Claire

Since my copy of Resident Evil: Degeneration has yet to arrive, i decided to go back and play when Leon first met Claire in Resident Evil 2. To be honest, i could never agree with all the praises and accolades bestowed onto RE2 when it first came out. Sure the story was great but the game felt too short on one go and too tiresome to finish four times to experience everything (LeonA/ClaireB and ClaireA/LeonB). I never really like the guns designed for RE2 and the modifications you could do made me loathe them even more as they were virtually too powerful to fire when upgraded.

I did however like the introduction of the lickers in RE2 and thought they were the best thing in the first Resident Evil movie. After facing them again in RE2, I quickly remember how vicious they can be because they certainly weren't anything as vicious in Umbrella Chronicles. In fact there was one sequence in the You Died screen on the RE2 demo included with Resident Evil: Director's Cut which i believed was left out of the final retail game where the licker would repeatedly beat leon head to the ground with its claws. Disturbing stuff indeed.

I wonder happened to the lickers in Umbrella Chronicles where all they can do is just lash out its tongue at you or take a cheap swipe. I remember even Resident Evil: Survivor did a better job of portraying just how vicious the lickers could be. I'm hoping to see the lickers again in Resident Evil 5 or even Degeneration as they are sorely missed.

No comments: