Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Paper paper

I was playing Okami on the Wii last night when the rolling demo kick in at the start menu after leaving your controller idle for too long. I'm sure it was footage taken directly from the playstation2 version because it had a completely different look to it, the infamous paper filter effect of the ps2 version.

Now i'm not familiar with japanese art style but paper filter effect to someone with a casual eyes like myself just looks like hazy, grainy, blurry effect. I really wonder if the developers intentionally created such an art look for the original version or they just couldn't get the ps2 to generate such rich vibrant colors? After all, the gamespot reviewer remarked that the Gamecube version of Viewtiful Joe had richer more vibrant colors than the subsequent ps2 port. This is all just pure speculation from my side unless someone is able to provide me with some proof that the paper filter on the original ps2 version was intentional. Anyone?

No comments: